Wednesday, November 26, 2008

MHL : Three vie for top scorer award

Three players are in the leading pack for the top scorer award in the Malaysia Hockey League (MHL).

They are Tenaga Nasional’s Mohd Amin Rahim and the Ernst and Young duo of Baljit Singh Sarjab and Chua Boon Huat. All of them have seven goals to their credit thus far.

Defenders Amin and Baljit went on target from penalty corners while Boon Huat’s goals all came from field attempts.



However, Amin, who was the MHL top scorer for Ernst and Young in 2006 with 30 goals, said that he was unhappy with his conversion rate.

“I took 20 penalty corners in 10 Division One matches and converted seven. This is a poor statistic for my status as the penalty corner flicker for the national team.

“I will use the next few days to sharpen up before the MHL knockout stage begins next week,’’ he said.

The 28-year-old Amin said that he had set his sights on winning the top scorer award after failing to do so last year.

“Baljit has improved much in his penalty corner conversion rate and will be my strongest rival for the award,” he said.

The 21-year-old Baljit is also not too pleased with the number of goals he scored from nine matches.

“I wasted a few scoring chances and cannot afford to do so in the knockout stage if I want to win the award,” he said.

But Boon Huat is delighted with his efforts thus far.

“I have never won the top scorer award in the MHL but I am having a good run this year, scoring in almost every match. I hope I will be able to land the award this time,” he said.

League champions Ernst and Young, who have 17 players from the national training squad in their ranks, will wrap up their league fixtures against Maybank today at the National Hockey Stadium in Bukit Jalil.

No comments: