Sunday, December 6, 2009

MHL :: Tigers easily sweep aside foreign-powered Nur Insafi

Maybank swept aside Nur Insafi 5-2 in their opening match in the new Premier Division of the Malaysia Hockey League (MHL) at the Tun Razak Stadium yesterday.

The Nur Insafi team had registered 16 foreign players but only nine arrived for yesterday’s match. The presence of the foreign players did not affect the Tigers as they carved out an easy win.

The Tigers took a three-goal in the first half with three field attempts. Former international Suhaimi Ibrahim started the ball rolling with his attempt in the 22nd minute. This was followed by Mohamed Azammi Adabi and Hafifihafiz Hanafi in the 29th and 33rd minutes respectively

Sundeep Michael pulled a goal for Nur Insafi in the 36th minute but Azammi was on target for the Tiger two minutes later to keep them ahead.

Hairul Niizam made it 5-1 in the 50th minute with a penalty corner goal while Nur Hrisikesa added the second goal for Nur Insafi in the 70th minute.

Seven of Nur Insafi’s foreign players will only come next week. Their foreign players in action yesterday were Bharat Chetri, Kul Bhusant Ramesh Kumar, Sarvan Kumar, Lloyd Ronald Kiran, Sundeep Michael, Vinod Kumar, Mubeen Ur Rahman and Yasir Islam.

Another player Pakistani penalty corner specialist Syed Imran Al Warsi was with the team yesterday but will not be able to play until Dec 15. He is still under contract with a European club and cannot play until then.

Earlier, KL Hockey Club started off their debut season in the MHL with a 3-0 win over another newcomer University Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) in an earlier match.

The first half ended scoreless as both teams failed to create any good goal scoring chances. The match only came alive in the second half as KLHC, parading players from last year’s double winners Ernst and Young, scored thrice to collect full points.

KLHC skipper Azlan Misron started the scoring in the 36th minute from a penalty corner set-piece. This was followed by a field goal from Ismail Abu a minute later.

KLHC then began to dominate the proceedings and increased their lead in the 56th minute when Baljit Singh fired home a penalty corner.

KLHC coach R. Vivekanandan said that the important thing was to secure the three points.

UniKL paraded a lot of young players and they too were happy to have matched their more experienced opponents and not get a hammering.

Their coach I. Vicknesweran said it was an important match for them as they could gauge their strength.

“I am happy that my players showed they can The Premier Division league will resume on Dec 18.”

No comments: