Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Chance for Joel, Manraj to emulate their illustrious fathers’ achievements

There is something unique about Joel van Huizen and Manraj Singh apart from the fact that they will be spearheading Petaling Jaya City Council’s (MBPJ) assault in Division Two of the Malaysia Hockey League (MHL), which begins tomorrow.

Their fathers — Stephen van Huizen and Sarjit Singh — are living legends as far as hockey in the country is concerned, having captained and coached the national team.

So, all eyes will definitely be on Joel and Manraj when they make their debut in Division Two, which is for Under-19 players.

Joel, a Form Five student of the St. John’s Institution, is keen to follow in the footsteps of his father, who captained the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics team.

“I picked up hockey from my father and I also happen to be a midfielder just like him. He was a good centre-half,” said Joel, who helped Kuala Lumpur win the National Under-16 title in Kedah last year.

“It’s great to know that I am the third generation hockey player in my family.”

Joel, whose grandfather Lawrence also skippered and coached the national team.

Joel has set himself a target of representing the national senior team in three years’ time and featuring in the 2013 Junior World Cup.

“I have improved a lot in the last few years but I still have to train harder to become a good midfielder,” said Joel, whose ambition is to become an accountant.

Forward Manraj too wants to be a great player like his dad, who was regarded as one of the best midfielders in Asia during his days.

“My dad was a utility player ... he could play in all positions. He was also good with penalty corners and overhead flicks,” said the 17-year-old Manraj.

“He is my role model and I am proud of his achievements as a player and coach.”

Manraj said he could not play in the junior league last year because of a dislocated shoulder.

“I was out of action for six months.

“But this year I hope to give my best by scoring as many goals as possible in the league,” said Manraj.

“I also want to win a place in the national team in four years’ time.”

If they are half as good as their dads, these two lads should be worth watching.

No comments: