Monday, May 18, 2009

Combining career and hockey is the way for Jiwa

The return of defender Jiwa Mohan provided a big boost to the national hockey team in the Air Asia-Asia Cup tournament.

But the 28-year-old has ruled out making a full-time comeback to the team.

Jiwa said that he would consider playing for the team in top-level tournaments but he wanted to continue juggling his time between his job career and hockey.

“Full-time hockey is out for me. I firmly believe that one can work and still play top-level hockey. There is not need for me to be with the team full time,” he said.

“The Asia Cup is over and I will go back to my work (as an engineer) in Perth but will continue to train and play for my club there.”

The vastly experience Jiwa had quit the national team after the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in 2007. But coach Tai Beng Hai convinced him to return for the Asia Cup. He came back just three days before the tournament and was part of the back four in all five matches.

The versatile Jiwa added that the team had a lot of potential and could go far with proper guidance and hard work.

“I am sure we are heading in the right direction. It will be good if more of our players play in foreign leagues. It will be good experience for them and give better understanding on the requirements at the top level,” he said.

“I have to again press home the point that players need not be with the team full time. I have proved that one can always work and play hockey.

“Previously, we had decentralised training and assemble only when there is a tournament to prepare for. It is important that players develop their careers along with hockey.”

Jiwa is expected to make himself available for Malaysia’s campaign in the World Cup qualifying tournament in November.

No comments: